Pontchartrain Cancer Center offers prevention, early detection, and genetic counseling programs. Our programs provide education and treatment for people who, based upon personal and family history, are at high risk for developing cancer. Although most cancers are sporadic events, approximately 10% are hereditary. These hereditary cancers are due to specific inherited genes that cause an increase in susceptibility to develop cancers. Families can pass on a gene from generation to generation. Hereditary cancers can include (but are not limited to): breast cancer, ovarian cancer, colorectal cancer, endometrial cancer, and skin cancer (melanoma).
There are ways to reduce your risk of cancer. If cancer runs in your family, genetic counseling and testing may be appropriate. Genetic testing can give you answers about your risk of inherited cancers by analyzing your genes. Results will help you make informed decisions about your options for early cancer detection and risk reduction. Even if you have already been diagnosed with cancer, genetic testing can provide important information about your risk for a second cancer. Genetic testing also provides important information to your family members, especially close relatives.
At Pontchartrain Cancer Center, our providers are trained to:
- recognize and evaluate family histories for hereditary cancer syndromes
- provide familial cancer risk assessment
- utilize mutation risk models to estimate chance of hereditary mutations within the family
- provide education about genetics, hereditary cancer syndromes, ethical issues, potential but unproven discrimination issues, family issues, and autonomy
- coordination and interpretation of genetic testing
- review of medical management and implications of genetic test results
- follow-up support and coordination of referrals
Genetic counseling and testing services are covered by 97% of insurance companies. For additional information or to schedule an appointment please call our Covington Clinic at (985) 875-1202 or our Hammond Clinic at (985) 419-0025.
Take the Hereditary Cancer Quiz to find out your cancer risk. This brief quiz will help you determine whether you should be further evaluated for hereditary cancers. On average, the quiz takes less than 1 minute to complete. To access the Hereditary Cancer Quiz, please click here: HEREDITARY CANCER QUIZ.