YOUR FIRST VISIT
Knowing what to expect and what to take with you to your first appointment can help make things run more smoothly. Because you will be receiving a lot of information, it is a good idea to take along a family member or a friend for support. At your first appointment, you will meet your physician and cancer care team and learn about your diagnosis and treatment options. Your first visit may include the following:
- Meeting your doctor, which could include an examination.
- Having additional tests needed for an accurate diagnosis and to also help your physician prepare your treatment plan.
- Meeting the nurses and medical assistants and other members of your medical team.
- Meeting with your financial counselor to discuss your insurance coverage, your out-of-pocket expenses, your financial responsiblIities and billing questions you might have.
For many, cancer can be a frightening disease, especially to recently diagnosed patients and their loved ones. To ease fears and make the fight against cancer more manageable, we recommend:
- Taking time to learn about your type of cancer.
- Understanding the treatment options that are available.
- Coordinating all aspects of treatment, both in our facility and with other specialists.
At Pontchartrain Cancer Center, our physicians, nurses, and staff work together to provide complete cancer care. We coordinate every aspect of care including:
- Diagnosis analysis
- Developing a comprehensive treatment strategy
- Involving patients in clinical trials when appropriate
- Providing insurance, financial, and drug acquisition support
As an independent cancer center:
- We work closely with a variety of treatment centers, other cancer care specialists, and health care professionals.
- We provide complete chemotherapy treatments on site.
- We offer our patients a wide array of support and patient advocacy services.
- If surgery, radiation therapy, or other treatments are needed, we recommend the most appropriate resources and coordinate communication to ensure you are receiving precisely the treatment you need, when you need it.